Even when using the latest battery technologies in an EV, your battery pack is probably going to need replacing at some point (although Altair nano's latest battery technology is reported to retain 85% capacity after 15,000 cycles, thats a lot of driving!). When your pack is at the end of it's days, recycling is the way to go. Here are some of your current options for battery recycling:
- http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/waste/use-disposal-batteries-jul06/use-disposal-batteries-jul06.html - NZ Government information on recycling for a variety of battery types
- http://www.tredi.co.nz - NZ based company that collects a variety of products (incliuding Lithium ion batteries) for recycling in France.
- http://www.rbrc.org - Recycling in the USA
- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/automobiles/13RECYCLE.html - Recent article on battery recycling
- http://www.technologyreview.com/news/414707/lithium-battery-recycling-gets-a-boost (DOE funding for lithium battery recycling in the USA)